[dhcwg] 答?: comments on draft-yan-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnszone-02.txt

"CTO YAN Renxiang" <Renxiang.Yan@alcatel-sbell.com.cn> Thu, 10 March 2005 07:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:29:14 +0800
From: CTO YAN Renxiang <Renxiang.Yan@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>
To: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, CTO Jiang YingLan <YingLan.Jiang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>
Subject: [dhcwg] 答?: comments on draft-yan-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnszone-02.txt
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

> -----原始?件-----
> ?件人: JINMEI Tatuya / ノ??_ヤユ [mailto:jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp]
> ?送??: 2005年3月10日 12:30
> 收件人: CTO YAN Renxiang
> 抄送: dhcwg@ietf.org; CTO Jiang YingLan
> 主?: Re: comments on draft-yan-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnszone-02.txt

> >> My first question is whether it's typical for the
> "subscriber" to use
> >> the ISP's (sub) domain (suffix) for its internal host names.  This
> >> would make it hard to change providers (they'd rename host names as
> >> well as renumber addresses), so don't they rather want to use an
> >> independent domain space?  Perhaps I'm just unfamiliar
> with this area,
> >> so this is not an objection to the proposal; rather it's just a
> >> question.
>
> > This option just provides a method to transfer the domain
> suffix from DHCPv6 server
> > to DHCPv6 client. The word "provider" is used as an example
> to illustrate the
> > applicability, you certainly can use an independent domain
> space, but typically, to reduce
> > management cost, the allocation of this indenpendent domain
> space is performed
> > by the network service provider.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, but this does not really address my
> concern.  What I wanted to see is an explanation on how this is
> realistic in the actual operational usage, rather than "this could
> work in theory this way".  As you seemed to indicate, providing an
> independent name space from the upstream ISP does not seem feasible to
> me.

I think explaining a typical usage can help to understand the option. I will explain
other issues after the purpose of the option make sense to you.

Suppose a CPE in IPv6 access network. The CPE is linked with many IPv6 terminals
in home network. The CPE get an IPv6 prefix from uplink access node (e.g. BRAS)
through Prefix delegation. The address of the terminals in home network can be
configured using stateless autoconfiguration or through a stateful DHCPv6 embedded in
CPE. Now, my concern is how to automatic update a domain name for the IPv6 terminals?

1. In the case where terminals address is configured using DHCP. we can use FQDN
option between terminals and CPE. So we need to configure a zone suffix in the DHCPv6
server embedded in CPE. However, for a large number of CPE, it's better to define an
automatic way. So we define this option.
2. The typical case is terminals' address is configured using stateless autoconfiguration.
There has been several drafts address how to update domain name in such environment,
but a zone suffix still needs to be configured in the CPE.

So this draft defines the option to transfer zone suffix using DHCPv6, but it does not
address the DNS update for the terminals.