RE: [dhcwg] static route option for dhcpv6

Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@ccrle.nec.de> Thu, 17 January 2002 11:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:18:35 +0100
From: Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@ccrle.nec.de>
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, "'vijayak@india.hp.com'" <vijayak@india.hp.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] static route option for dhcpv6
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

comments are inline.

--On Mittwoch, Januar 16, 2002 13:17:09 -0600 "Bernie Volz (EUD)"
<Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> wrote:

> After thinking about this more and after seeing the other discussion on
> this subject, I'm not sure exactly when or why this option would be

I'm not sure, too. But I would be happy if Vijay could make a small picture
with the scenario his thinking of to get a clear view.

> needed. But on the other than, it technically isn't needed in IPv4 either
> because ICMP redirects and other routing table distribution techniques
> exist and DHCPv4 does have such an option (and a revised one to carry
> classless routes).
> So, we can do one of two things:
> 1. Include it and consider DHCPv6 as a toolbox and those people that want
> to use it (and those clients that want to support it) do so. For example,
> Solaris 8 includes the route command and it supports IPv6 routing table
> operations. Can anyone who has lots of experience with IPv6 deployment
> indicate whether there is a need to statically add routing table entries?

I do the IPv6 deployment for a complete site, and I haven't encounter such
a situation where a host needs a static route. But I'm willing to learn.

> 2. Wait until someone has a clear case of needing it and have it defined
> in some future document.

I prefer this way.

Martin