Re: [dhcwg] update on dhcp/dns drafts' progress

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Sun, 17 November 2002 04:28 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:26:12 -0500
To: Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com>
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] update on dhcp/dns drafts' progress
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Mark - In addition to the issue concerning the description of the dhcid RR
you describe below, two other issues were raised by Ted Lemon in the e-mail
thread last July.  Here is an excerpt from Ted's e-mail:

 > Unfortunately, I have two tweaks left for
 > draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-04.txt:
 >
 > 6.2 Adding PTR RR Entries to DNS
 >
 >    The DHCP server submits a DNS query which deletes all of the PTR
 >    RRs associated with the lease IP address, and adds a PTR RR whose
 >    data is the client's (possibly disambiguated) host name. The server
 >    also adds a DHCID RR as specified in Section 4.
 >
 > [...] I mentioned this before, but I don't recall getting any response.  I
 > don't see any reason for the last sentence in this paragraph. [...]
 >
 > 5. DNS RR TTLs
 >
 > [...] I don't think there's any practical reason why the RR
 > on a DHCP client's DNS records should be longer than ten minutes by
 > default.  [...] So I think the
 > text should be changed from this:
 >
 >    A reasonable basis
 >    for RR TTLs is the lease duration itself: TTLs of 1/2 or 1/3 the
 >    expected lease duration might be reasonable defaults. Because
 >    configured DHCP lease times vary widely from site to site, it may
 >    also be desirable to establish a fixed TTL ceiling. DHCP clients
 >    and servers MAY allow administrators to configure the TTLs they
 >    will supply, possibly as a fraction of the actual lease time, or as
 >    a fixed value. In general, the TTLs of RRs added as a result of
 >    DHCP lease activity SHOULD be less than the initial lease time.
 >
 > to this:
 >
 >    The RR TTL on a DNS record added for a DHCP lease should be
 >    no longer than 10% of the lease time, and for leases longer than 100
 >    minutes, the TTL should be no longer than ten minutes.   DHCP
 >    servers and clients SHOULD allow administrators to configure
 >    TTLs, either as an absolute time interval or as a percentage of the
 >    lease time.   In general, the TTLs or RRs added as a result of DHCP
 >    lease activity SHOULD be less than the initial lease time.

I believe you have edited your recently published drafts to address these
two issues as well.  If my understanding is correct, how have you addressed
the issues?

- Ralph