[dhcwg] Re: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments

Stig Venaas <Stig.Venaas@uninett.no> Mon, 02 August 2004 04:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 06:48:25 +0200
From: Stig Venaas <Stig.Venaas@uninett.no>
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, mboned@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:01:06AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
[...]
> Well, one obvious way to achieve all of this is to add a Multicast
> Prefix Information option (a tailed down version of PI option), to
> RFC2461/RFC2462 Route Advertisements, and specification of multicast
> DAD (possibly with a flag in the MPI whether it's needed or not).
>
> With that, multiple prefixes could be advertised, but typically one
> would be enough.
>
> (The "good news" here is that a good implementation would not need to
> require the router admin to specify the prefix to be advertised on all
> the links, but it could be calculated & advertised automatically as
> well.)

The prefixes to use could also be announced by DHCP. You could easily
use stateless DHCP. In addition to this some form of DAD would be good.
I don't care that much how the client picks the last 32 bits, it could
be random, from interface id somehow, or specified by the user. The
main thing is making sure it's unique.

So, I think there are basically two issues that can be solved
independently. One is prefix to use, the other is link uniqueness.

The former might be done with RAs or stateless DHCP. The second
should probably be done using some link-local multicast ICMP, but I
need to think more about that. One issue is that one needs to allow
multiple sources for a group in some cases. So I think DAD should
just be offered as a service, whether an application should use the
group in case of duplicates should be up to the application.

Stig