Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-09.txt - questions about Solicit Prefix Delegation - src LL vs GUA

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 18 October 2017 14:06 UTC

To: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
Cc: "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:06:12 +0200
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-09.txt - questions about Solicit Prefix Delegation - src LL vs GUA

Bernie,

Le 13/07/2017 à 19:38, Bernie Volz (volz) a écrit :
[...]

> Regarding Link Local vs GLA in Solicit, I think following the
> specification would be recommended. Use link-local.

But the I-D 3315bis says this:
> Clients and servers exchange DHCP messages using UDP [RFC0768].  The
>  client uses a link-local address or addresses determined through
> other mechanisms for transmitting and receiving DHCP messages.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This "other mechanisms" means that a GUA generated with SLAAC could be
used as an src in a DHCPv6 Solicit.

[...]
> Note also that section 13.1 (for the unicast, GLA case) assumes the
> message was not multicast (section 18.4 about UseMulticast Status
> talks about "Reception of Unicast Messages").

Hm, that lokks like a relatively less explicit if not outright silent
assumption(?)  Or maybe I did not look well enough in the I-D?

There is a particular equipment manufacturer's simulator software, and
potentially real hardware, that uses GUA in src and dst multicast with
link scope ff02::1:2.547, in the DHCPv6 Solicit.

If this behaviour is standard (src GUA and dst ff02::1:2) then it should
be in the draft.  If it's not standard: it should get corrected in the
simulated and in the real implementation.

Because other software than the one from the particular equipment
manufacturer uses src LL and dst ff02::1:2.

Side note:

> I think section 13.1 was written with the assumption that determining
> the destination address of a packet is harder than obtaining the
> source address; hence the assumption is that if a GLA is used as the
> source address, it was not a multicast [to the link-local multicast
> address]. Today, kernels typically provide the ability to get the
> destination address, not just the source address (though it takes a
> bit more code to do so).

The picture may be different on point-to-point links like cellular
links.  It's multicast, but it's just two nodes and they are always
seeing each other.  Besides, one of the nodes allocates an address to
the other node by other means than SLAAC, and it knows it.

Alex