[dhcwg] info request

Luca Colombrita <colombrita@econ.unito.it> Tue, 20 November 2001 12:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:46:56 +0100
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Luca Colombrita <colombrita@econ.unito.it>
Subject: [dhcwg] info request
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

good morning, my name is luca and i work for the university of
torino.installing a dhcp server i've got the necessity to renew very often
the configuration of the clients, it's necessary for me to to give or to
deny the dns address. i wrote a script that kills the dhcp service and
reload it with the properly configuration allowing or denying the machines
to go in internet. the problem is that i'm not able to change the client ip
address while the lease time is not expired. i'v been trying with a batch
file in the automatic execution on the clients win98 that makes a
ipconfig/release_all
ipconfig/renew_all

and it works quite fine, but the problem is that losing the ip address the
clients lose also the network connection with our novell server. i tried to
patch it using the ipx protocol as the preferred by the client, but we
alsowant to abandon this kind of protocol.
Shutting down the client is not enough if the lease time is not expired
even if the dhcp configuration file is been updated to  the new
configuration. Is there a possibility to renew the ip address without
loosing the network connection?
best regards
Luca Colombrita
University of Torino