RE: [dhcwg] Changes to remove "client-link-local-address" from th e DHCPv6 header

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Thu, 30 August 2001 19:15 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Changes to remove "client-link-local-address" from th e DHCPv6 header
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:10:42 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Yeah, in thinking some more about this, perhaps it is better that the relay
doesn't know about prefix lengths (it doesn't really need to) - though it
likely will anyway (because of Router Advertisements, etc).

It also is one more thing that could get misconfigured in some way between
the relay and server, so perhaps best to just let the server deal with it.

Therefore, I would suggest it can either be the prefix (with 0's in the interface
id) or just an address. Since the server knows the prefix lengths, it can find
the appropriate "network" by doing the checks only against the prefix-length
bits. Essentially, only the prefix bits are significant and the remaining bits
are don't care. But, I have no major issue if we want to force it to be just
the prefix (with 0's in the other bits).

- Bernie