Re: [dhcwg] Host Name option considerations draft

Carl Smith <Carl.Smith@eng.sun.com> Fri, 08 March 2002 02:35 UTC

To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Host Name option considerations draft
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:32:11 -0800
From: Carl Smith <Carl.Smith@eng.sun.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

> > 	-  if a client sends a Host Name option and the server responds with
> > 	   a different name from the one the client requested, what must the
> > 	   client do?
> >
> ...this presupposes that (1) the client sent its preferred Host Name to the
> server, but (2) did not include the Host Name option in the parameter
> request list.

	Actually, I wasn't presupposing (1) and (2).  Instead, I was assuming
I knew the answer to

> as well as "If a
> client sends the server a suggested value for Host Name, is that equivalent
> to an entry for Host Name in the Parameter Request List?"

but as you point out,

> We must answer the question about equivalence of Parameter Request List and
> suggested Host Name:  if a suggested name implies a request for Host Name,
> then I agree that the client should accept the name offered by the server or
> decline [Not!  Just teasing after the other ongoing discussion...] the
> offer.

that may have been unwarranted.  This is a fine topic to discuss during our
slot at the WG meeting.

> ...this begs the question:  "Should a server return a value for an option
> which is neither mandatory nor requested by the client?"

	Hmm.  Mandatory option?  :-)  If mandatory means anything other than
``the server's configured to do this'', I believe the answer has to be yes in
order to cover the ability to satisfy this (2131, section 4.2)

	Specific DHCP server
	implementations may incorporate any controls or policies desired by a
	network administrator.

> and finally "If
> the server sends an unrequested [and non-mandatory] option, is the client
> obligated to use the value?"

	Now *that* is a can of worms.

			Carl