Re: [dhcwg] Anyone interested in continuing draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt?

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 21 August 2013 12:41 UTC

From: <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>
To: Tomek Mrugalski <tomasz.mrugalski@gmail.com>, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:41:39 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Anyone interested in continuing draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt?

Hi Tomek,

I do still think draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt documents a useful feature in order to have more automation and also control routes aggregation instead of relying on proprietary behaviors of each implementation. Of course, part of these objectives can be achieved if routes are installed manually or use an out of band mechanism to enforce routing aggregation policies. Still, the proposal in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt is superior because the DHCP server has the knowledge of the prefix assignments; and therefore routes can be triggered with dhcpv6 .

A way to progress with this document is to target the Experimental track. Based on the experience that will be gained in real deployments, the status can be revisited if required.

Cheers,
Med