RE: [dhcwg] Questions about DHCPv6 draft 22 to support DSTM envir onments

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Sat, 12 January 2002 17:17 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Jim Bound' <seamus@bit-net.com>
Cc: '???' <hclee@i2soft.net>, ngtans???? <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, DHCP???? <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Questions about DHCPv6 draft 22 to support DSTM envir onments
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:11:56 -0600
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Hum, my understanding of -22 is that a client MUST go (back) to the Solicit state to "request" new IAs. Request, Renew, Rebind can only be used on IAs that have been used in a Solicit (or better yet, returned by a server in an Advertise response to a Solicit):

18.1.1. Creation and transmission of Request messages

   The client uses a Request message to populate IAs with addresses
   and obtain other configuration information.  The client includes
   one or more IA options in the Request message, with addresses and
   information about the IAs that were obtained from the server in a
   previous Advertise message.  The server then returns addresses and
   other information about the IAs to the client in IA options in a
   Reply message.

I'm not necessarily completely happy with this (as I suspect you aren't), but I think it has some benefits - since it is also possible that if there are multiple servers, some may be configured to provide DSTM addresses and others not?

- Bernie