[dhcwg] Digital Evidence Standards and a statement that this directly effects NTP and its use...

"TS Glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Wed, 14 November 2007 13:11 UTC

From: TS Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: "David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu>, ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, dhcwg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:15:54 -0800
Subject: [dhcwg] Digital Evidence Standards and a statement that this directly effects NTP and its use...

Dave -
There is ANOTHER issue facing this WG and that is that just like the
"description's" of the NTP Process the AutoKEY system needs to be
accountable to a standard which allows data captured from such a source to
be admitted in a court of law and now that there are formal standards many
of the cool methods of delivering time over networks from a physics
perspective dont mean squat now to the Courts.

The case that set this standard was called Lorraine v Markel CIVIL ACTION
NO. PWG-06-1893 and it came out of the US District Court in Maryland on May
4th 2007 from a Judge (a Chief Magistrate Judge) by the name of Paul Grimm.
Google the actual ruling here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=lorraine+v+markel&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLF

Bluntly, the world changed a tad on May 4th and while this effort is pointed
at the physics of operating NTP, these new controls impact any work with any
other Standardized Protocol as well... What this means to people who NTP is
a part of their commercial offering, is that they MUST apply these new
standards to this code and its support as well, or they must use their own
internal code-base's rather than depending on one here. I think this ruling
re-set the bar heighth, and it is now much higher - even for an Academic
Entity. As to how this effects this WG, we need to build tools that are
capable of being used in these key application contexts or this protocol
will likely be ultimately replaced.

Just my two cents,

Todd Glassey