Re: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Thu, 08 August 2002 21:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:47:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration
Cc: Matt Osman <M.Osman@cablelabs.com>, pgrossma@cisco.com, nrussell@cisco.com, dhcwg@ietf.org, 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Paul Duffy <paduffy@cisco.com>, Josh Littlefield <joshl@cisco.com>, "Woundy, Richard" <RWoundy@broadband.att.com>
To: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>
From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

> There is in theory potential interoperability issues both for DHCP and DNS.
> DHCP: will things operate correctly if the MTA receives a good ol' DNS
> name server option instead of this suboption? If not you either get all
> the DHCP servers on the planet to implement the cablelabs option or you
> could
> end up with interoperability problems.

It is always a risk that a DHCP server administrator will configure the
DHCP server incorrectly.   This is an example of an incorrect configuration.
    There is nothing that you can do in the protocol to prevent an incorrect
configuration.   For example, if I configure my DNS server to do TSIG
updates, but I put the wrong TSIG key data on the client, the update
inexplicably doesn't work.   As the administrator, I just have to figure
that out and fix it.   The protocol can't help me - it has no way to report
that the signature didn't verify, because an invalid signature means the
packet should be tossed.   Is this a bug in the protocol?   (I don't think
so!)