RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: randomization delay before invoking DHC

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Sun, 12 May 2002 13:55 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: "'Bound, Jim'" <Jim.Bound@hp.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: randomization delay before invoking DHC
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 08:48:18 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Jim:

Yes, the flag can change from TRUE to FALSE, but the issue is when does stateful configuration stop (sorry I didn't state that more clearly last time):

   If the value of the ManagedFlag
   changes from TRUE to FALSE, the host should continue running the
   stateful address autoconfiguration, i.e., the change in the value of
   the ManagedFlag has no effect.

So, once DHCP starts, this kind of implies that it never stops until a reboot of the system occurs.

In -24 (17.1.2) we also have:

   A DHCP client SHOULD choose MRC and MRD to be 0.  If the DHCP client
   is configured with either MRC or MRD set to a value other than
   0, it MUST stop trying to configure the interface if the message
   exchange fails.  After the DHCP client stops trying to configure the
   interface, it SHOULD choose to restart the reconfiguration process
   after some external event, such as user input, system restart, or
   when the client is attached to a new link.

So, if a client follows the SHOULD it would keep running the process.

I guess one could assume that the client should stop transmitting Solicits if the ManagedFlag is false.

- Bernie