Re: [dhcwg] Incorporation of WG last call comments in draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-06.txt

Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com> Wed, 26 September 2001 11:14 UTC

To: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Incorporation of WG last call comments in draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-06.txt
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:02:07 -0400
From: Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

> Now that these comments have been incorporated, I believe that this
> document is ready for IETF last call.

I'll wait for Ralph to signal that the document is ready, but here are
my comments.

Main item is that it has a normative reference to

> [7]  Lemon, T., "Encoding Long DHCP Options", Internet draft (work in
>      progress), draft-ietf-dhc-concat-01.txt, July 2001.

so these two document should go together.

Some minor wording nits (these can be dealt with later):

> the domain search list.  This document defines a new DHCP option which
> is passed from the DHCP Server to the DHCP Client to specify the domain
> search list when resolving hostnames.

Is the option allowed to be included in client messages? I would
assume so. Indeed, isn't it the case that clients can include any
option if to signal a desire to the server to get such an option
returned? If so, I guess this isn't really an issue.

> In this scheme, an entire domain name or a  list of labels at the end of
> a domain name is replaced with a pointer to a prior occurrence of the

s/is replaced/can be replaced/

> same name.  Despite its complexity, this technique is valuable since the

Thomas