Re: [dhcwg] Question on Relay address field

Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com> Sat, 22 September 2001 16:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:52:53 -0400
From: Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>
To: "Anil Kumar Reddy. S" <sakreddy@india.hp.com>
Cc: "Dhcwg (E-mail)" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Question on Relay address field
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Anil,

OK I get it.  Multiple issues here and they are not dhcp issues though.
We in dhcp must assume you can get the interface address it came in on
within an IPv6 implementation and thats not our job here to work that. But
let me try to suggest how I would do it.

First assume you can get the interface index from 2292-bis or you do it on
your implementation via some other means (sysctl/ioctl).  You then do an
if_nameindex() call to get all interface names from the base api not the
advanced api.

4.3 Return All Interface Names and Indexes

The if_nameindex structure holds the information about a single
interface and is defined as a result of including the <net/if.h> header.

   struct if_nameindex {
     unsigned int   if_index;  /* 1, 2, ... */
     char          *if_name;   /* null terminated name: "le0", ... */
   };

The final function returns an array of if_nameindex structures, one
structure per interface.

   struct if_nameindex  *if_nameindex(void);

Then we would need to call our implementation defined functions to return
each address for each interface name.

At this point the relay needs to use the proper scoping to get to the
server.  Because we are embedding the address in the relay-forward option
we must do what IPv6 will do with source address selection for sending IP
packets in general which is select the proper scope for the relay-address.

I would argue until IPv6 scoping is more widely implemented and its not
even been tested at our bake-offs for interoperability just yet the relay
needs to configure a table for each interface at its node and depending on
the scope of the server IP dst address select the best relay-address for
that interface.  The default should be a global address for each address
interface at the relay.

The other thing we can do is add to 2292-bis or build draft in ipng for
extensiion to the base api to return all addresses to if_nameindex(). The
base API is frozen and in the IEEE becoming standard now. So we cannot
change that now or break existing production implementations.

But I do not think this systems programming implementation issue should
affect the dhcp ipv6 standard at all and we should move forward. This is
an API issue again not dhcpv6 protocol issue.

And we can all make this work.

My input to you.

/jim