Re: [dhcwg] RE: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Wed, 04 August 2004 18:18 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:55:24 -0700
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, mboned@lists.uoregon.edu
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

On Aug 4, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Dave Thaler wrote:
> I'm asking the WGs whether
> there's real
> customer demand for any-source multicast, which was the issue at the
> top
> of this email, as well as whether the demand would be for v6-only or
> for
> v4/v6 both.  If folks want a v4 solution as well, they'll do MADCAP, in
> which case
> the incremental complexity of adding IPv6 support is negligible.

Yup.   I'd really like to have any-source multicast, because it would
require a narrower pipe than the one I have to buy right now to do VoIP
broadcasts to Regular Folks [tm].   And I don't think I'm alone in
this.   So there is customer demand at the bottom of the food chain.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any customer demand higher up the food
chain than that.  And of course, times being what they are, I want
IPv4, but otoh I'm hoping that multicast might grow up in the IPv6
infrastructure, so my real hopes for some day having multicast rest on
IPv6, not IPv4.   So a v6-only solution isn't what I want, but it is
what I think I can get.

It's a complicated issue.   I think that if there are some researchers
who want a DHCPv6 option to use to do some research and that they'd
like to deploy, it's okay for them to advance a document that describes
that option, as long as it really gets them some traction.   I think
advancing a significant extension to the DHCP protocol probably isn't
as good of an idea, given that MADCAP already does something similar.
But the best really is the enemy of good enough, and I don't think we
should completely poo-poo legitimate useful work that's being done just
because there's a complex and wonderful alternative.

I guess my point is that I would support doing a DHCP option for this
if the mboned working group wants it, but I think that your concern is
legitimate in the case where we are talking about something more
involved than a DHCP option.