[dhcwg] draft-polk-dhcp-geo-loc-option-00

John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com> Fri, 25 October 2002 21:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:30:45 -0400
To: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
From: John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>
Cc: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] draft-polk-dhcp-geo-loc-option-00
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Wow, Ted! Thanks for the almost instantaneous reply.

The only modification is a little arithmetic to evaluate the option.
We thought dividing the byte containing the MU by 16, would be easy.
And fixed point arithmetic is often handled by treating the combination,
which we arranged to be 5 bytes long, as an integer multiple of the
(peculiar) smallest increment precision. There would be just a few
tricky arithmetic expressions for the client to extract the resolution
and apply it to the location measure. The server would, presumably,
just hand out the properly formatted lump of 15 bytes it gets out of
the Circuit-ID-to-location database lookup.

We completely agree that the DHCP server's location is irrelevant.

Although we have not considered the wireless case beyond the obvious
that the location of the access-point, which this method can support,
is within radio distance of the client. The appropriately smaller
resolution would be associated with those entries in the location
database.

We suspect that the triangulation to determine more precise locations
might be performed by the receiver in the client, which would be someone
else's problem to standardize. The point that we think GEO-PRIV really
cares about is that the host finds its location in some not-very-public
way, and it decides when and where to send it - for example to an
emergency responder.

John