Re: [ntpwg] [dhcwg] Re: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

"David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu> Wed, 21 November 2007 19:09 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:09:32 +0000
From: "David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu>
To: DHC WG <dhcwg@ietf.org>, "ntpwg@lists.ntp.org" <ntpwg@lists.ntp.org>
Subject: Re: [ntpwg] [dhcwg] Re: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

David,

The true story of the U. Wisconsiin incident, along with others at NIST
and USNO, is in: Mills, D.L., J. Levine, R. Schmidt and D. Plonka.
Coping with overload on the Network Time Protocol public servers. Proc.
Precision Time and Time Interval (PTTI) Applications and Planning
Meeting (Washington DC, December 2004), 5-16. The paper is also on the
web: www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/papers.html.

So far as I know, Netgear had no plans to sue U. Wisconsin or the ISP.
However, my very strong advice to U. Wisconsin was to sue Netgear. The
incidents are what prompted the in-your-face practices in the latest
SNTP RFC, as well as the traffic grooming and Kiss-o'Death response in
recent NTP distributions.

I don't know what the argument is about with respect to IPV4 and NAT. I
would assume best practice would be for the firewall to run NTP and
provide its nonroutable IPv4 address behind the firewall. In principle,
it could hand out a routable IPv4 (or IPv6) address of an outside server
and translate only the return address. Frankly, I would rather the SOHO
do broadcast, rather than be stung by a raft of clients.

Dave