Re: [dhcwg] RE: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Tue, 10 August 2004 17:06 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:45:36 -0700
To: Stig Venaas <Stig.Venaas@uninett.no>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, mboned@lists.uoregon.edu
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Stig, maybe you can explain for me how it is less complicated to supply
multicast prefixes than it is to do stateful allocation - I don't get
it.   With multicast prefixes, the client either has to take its
chances with the possibility of a collision, which seems quite likely
(random number generators are usually deterministic, not random, and
getting one that uses any real source of entropy is difficult, not
easy), or it has to do some kind of duplicate address detection, which
also seems difficult, not easy.

In contrast, while stateful address allocation requires slightly more
work on the server side (in the sense that the server has to remember
which address it allocated), it's much easier on the client side - the
client gets a specific address, doesn't need a good RNG, and doesn't
need to do multicast DAD.   The additional complexity of remembering
which IP address we gave to the client is well-understood technology,
requiring no innovations and risking no accidental DoS attacks from
broken clients.

History suggests that DHCP server implementations are more likely to be
correct than DHCP client implementations, perhaps because there is less
risk of monoculture in the interoperability testing done by a DHCP
server vendor than by a DHCP client vendor (a client vendor will
typically test against a single server, whereas a server vendor will
typically have many different clients to test against).

So if it makes sense to do something like this, I would vote for doing
it in a stateful manner, not a stateless manner.