[Diffserv-interest] Re: MRED algorithms under DiffServ - s parameter computation

JORGE MANRIQUE MARGALEJO <jorge.manrique@upcnet.es> Mon, 24 September 2001 13:45 UTC

From: JORGE MANRIQUE MARGALEJO <jorge.manrique@upcnet.es>
To: sergio.andreozzi@lut.fi
Cc: ns-users@isi.edu, dsimplementation@atnf.csiro.au, diffserv-interest@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:37:20 -0000
Subject: [Diffserv-interest] Re: MRED algorithms under DiffServ - s parameter computation
Sender: diffserv-interest-admin@ietf.org

Hi Sergio,

I have not deeply studied the code you're talking about. However, as you explain in your mail, it seems reasonable to use 2 Mbps instead of 10 Mbps. Even if the "typical transmission time for a small packet" is strictly size/10Mbps, if you're limiting the bandwith to 2 Mbps you're somehow increasing the actual trasnmision time for that traffic and slowing down the "virtual link" for that traffic.

Using 2 Mbps sounds more logical to me but, as I say, I have not deeply studied the code so this is just my opinion.

Regards,

Jorge.

-------------------------

Hi!
MRED algorithms are based on RED. In this, to compute average queue lenght
when a packet enters an empty queue, the s parameter have to be computed (s
in the Floyd paper, 1/PTC in ns implementation - DiffServ module).
m is "the number of packets that might have been transmitted by the gateway
during the time that the line was free" and s is "a typical transmission
time for a small packet".
My question is:
e.g.
I have an outgoing link of 10 Mbit/s in a DiffServ enabled router. An AF PHB
is configured to have 2 Mbit/s of bandwidth and a MRED mechanism is applied
to it.
How should I compute s? Should I consider 10 Mbit/s or 2 Mbit/s? (I guess 2
Mbit/s, but in ns 10 Mbit/s is considered).
Thanks
Sergio