Re: [Diffserv-interest] RE: [Diffserv] [OFFLIST] MPLS+Diffserv(mapping DSCP to EXP)

Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com> Wed, 05 February 2003 07:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:57:04 +0100
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
To: Jeff Norman <jnorman@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc: Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com>, 'Mark Duffy' <mduffy@quarrytech.com>, nerdboy@rediffmail.com, diffserv-interest@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Diffserv-interest] RE: [Diffserv] [OFFLIST] MPLS+Diffserv(mapping DSCP to EXP)
Sender: diffserv-interest-admin@ietf.org

Please remove the cc to the diffserv list, since this fits best
on diffserv-interest.

I don't think loss of info is a tragedy. All this says is that
QOS granularity of MPLS is coarser than the QOS granularity
of diffserv. When the IP packets leave the MPLS domain, they
will still carry their DSCP and can receive diffserv treatment
in the downstream IP domain. The fact that several diffserv
aggregates may be mixed on a single LSP is no worse than them being
mixed on a leased line, which is the standard diffserv model.

(In other words, an LSP is a level 2 as far as diffserv is concerned,
and diffserv is designed to work over any level 2.)

Also, you don't need 64 mappings in practice. A given diffserv domain
will only have a few PHBs in use; 8 DSCPs active in one domain
(including default) would be a lot, in my view. (OK, there are people
who imagine much more complexity, but that leads to a management
nightmare.) So it doesn't really matter if the solution to
support 64 mappings is clumsy.

   Brian