Re: [Diffserv-interest] Re: draft-baker-diffserv-basic-classes-01 .txt

"John H. Shuler" <johnshuler@mac.com> Sun, 02 November 2003 22:30 UTC

Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:29:49 -0800
Subject: Re: [Diffserv-interest] Re: draft-baker-diffserv-basic-classes-01 .txt
From: "John H. Shuler" <johnshuler@mac.com>
To: Jozef Babiarz <babiarz@nortelnetworks.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
CC: diffserv-interest@ietf.org
Sender: diffserv-interest-admin@ietf.org

Here is my take on the examples you gave below:

Total of 5 service classes, ever, for any service:
Control Class: Highest absolute priority. Never used for anything but
control. Period.

EF for TDM-like services such as IP telephony, circuit em, and possibly
(depending on your attitude) interactive video services. Engineered such
that it is never oversubscribed under even the most extreme conditions.
Yields low latency and jitter.

AF4 for latency-sensitive (but not particularly jitter-sensitive) traffic
such as unidirectional audio-video streaming, TV broadcast, etc. Jitter is
buffered by end systems. Also available for people who want to pay through
the nose for transactional data service (banks may). Very conservatively
engineered w.r.t. CIR... Should never block.

AF1 for guaranteed CIR services with some (but not much) delay sensitivity,
such as SNA, VPN, etc. This class ­ even CIR - will typically be
oversubscribed, based on statistical analysis of network traffic.

BE for everything else ‹ Best Effort internet services, etc.  No distinction
between ³standard² and ³low priority². This is both. BE is subject to
complete blocking under extreme conditions, but these conditions should
almost never occur with proper network engineering. In fact, the apps that
use it should not even know when they are blocked even for several seconds,
since they are totally elastic. Service providers will price and
differentiate based on their performance on this class as well as the
others. If someone is intense about blocking, they can pay to up their
service to AF1 or even AF4.

Why do you need more? All services can be addressed using these basic
classes, plus policy-based tweaks on policers and shapers and queuing
systems (WFQ or CBQ). If a customer wants a better quality than is ³typical²
of a particular service, they can pay to bump up a class (except to the
control class). CIR on EF and AF4 will not be oversubscribed. The payback
from excessive attention to detail in management is negligible at best. Any
problems that occur will be due to failure to properly engineer the network
bandwidth or access policies.

Please explain to me why I am wrong.