Re: [Diffserv-interest] DiffServ over ATM

Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com> Thu, 30 August 2001 18:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:32:46 -0500
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
To: Jeff Norman <jnorman@nortelnetworks.com>
CC: John Tillberg <John.E.Tillberg@telia.se>, "'diffserv-interest@ietf.org'" <diffserv-interest@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Diffserv-interest] DiffServ over ATM
Sender: diffserv-interest-admin@ietf.org

I agree with Jeff. The intent of diffserv is make it unnecessary to mess
around with parallel ATM VCs and the like - diffserv shares a single pipe
among multiple traffic classes. If each diffserv queue has its own VC,
diffserv is probably a no-op. Also, it's no surprise that IP forwarding is
not a bottleneck on such slow links.

Now you know why some of us think that running ATM over wireless is
really, really pointless.

  Brian