RE: [ipcdn] FW: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs

"Andrew Smith" <ah_smith@acm.org> Sat, 08 March 2003 00:41 UTC

From: Andrew Smith <ah_smith@acm.org>
To: "'Woundy, Richard'" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, diffserv@ietf.org, "'IPCDN WG (E-mail)'" <ipcdn@ietf.org>
Cc: jf.mule@cablelabs.com, narten@us.ibm.com, erik.nordmark@sun.com, "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: [ipcdn] FW: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:24:13 -0800
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

Rich,

Thanks for the context - it wasn't clear from the draft or the WG
charter that this was an update to an earlier MIB. I appreciate the
momentum that comes with 20 million deployments!

My comments were aimed exclusively at the CMTS, not the modem: I think a
CMTS probably has a much better chance of supporting the Diffserv MIB,
which sacrifices implementation simplicity for generality in ways that
seemed appropriate for Diffserv switching nodes. I would also assume
that deployment of updates to CMTSs is many orders of magnitude easier
than changes to modems and that backwards-compatibility with RFC 2669 is
also less of an issue.

Regards,

Andrew Smith