RE: [Diffserv] parameters section missing from the Diffserv PIB

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Tue, 17 September 2002 00:27 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: Yacine.El_Mghazli@alcatel.fr
Cc: Kwok Ho Chan <khchan@NortelNetworks.com>, Lemponen Jussi <juzi@cs.tut.fi>, diffserv@ietf.org, rap@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] parameters section missing from the Diffserv PIB
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 02:06:58 +0200
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

> > > ok for reuse but here we're talking about OIDs...
> > > my question is: what is the signification of MIB-specific
> > > OIDs within a PIB ?
> > >
> > I suspect that you have NOT yet gone to the diffserv MIB to take
> > a look as to what those OIDs are representing. Once you do that,
> > I think it should be pretty clear.
> >

> I suspect that you suspect easily... let me know if I cant ask questions
> about things I dont understand (be sure I looked for answers before
> asking on the list).

You can ask question. No problem with that... but on the following:

> ** example:
> diffServTBParamSimpleTokenBucket OID = mib-2.97.3.1
> this OID has a meaning in the MIB tree, but it has not in the PIB tree.
> it seems that it's just a pointer towards the MIB and I was wondering
> about the conssistency with the PIB namespace.

It seems quite obvious to me (and I think Kwok also tried to explain),
the descrition says:

  diffServTBParamSimpleTokenBucket OBJECT-IDENTITY
    STATUS       current
    DESCRIPTION
       "Two Parameter Token Bucket Meter as described in the Informal
       Differentiated Services Model section 5.2.3."
    ::= { diffServTBMeters 1 }

So, this is an OBJECT-IDENTITY. See RFC2578, sect 6 for an explantion
of what it is used for.

In this case, it identifies (by OID) a specific type of Token Bucket Meter.
Such a meter can be used in a MIB, but it can also be used in a PIB.
And when you want to indicate that you are using this type of meter,
then you can indicate so by using the above OID in the appropriate object
(attribute), no matter if that object is defined in a MIB or in a PIB.
Typically the OID is the value that is assigned to a object with
a SYNTAX of AutonomousType (as is the case in both the MIB and the PIB).

Hope this helps more.

Bert