Re: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs

Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com> Fri, 07 March 2003 10:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:04:11 +0100
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
To: Andrew Smith <ah_smith@acm.org>
Cc: Bert Wijnen <bwijnen@lucent.com>, diffserv@ietf.org, Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com, jf.mule@cablelabs.com, narten@us.ibm.com, erik.nordmark@sun.com
Subject: Re: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

Andrew,

That is a valid point (we have the same issue for the IPv6 Flow Label).

However, in answer to Bert's question, John Schnizlein is correct.

It's a violation of the diffserv architecture to mask bits in a DSCP.
There are no encoded bit fields in a DSCP; it's an opaque 6 bit
quantity.

docsSubMgtPktFilterDscpMask needs to be deleted.

   Brian