RE: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs

"Andrew Smith" <ah_smith@acm.org> Wed, 05 March 2003 21:01 UTC

From: Andrew Smith <ah_smith@acm.org>
To: Bert Wijnen <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Cc: diffserv@ietf.org, Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com, jf.mule@cablelabs.com, narten@us.ibm.com, erik.nordmark@sun.com
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:42:11 -0800
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

I've not been following the DOCSIS MIB work closely and don't know the
context in which this MIB was developed. That said, shouldn't IETF be
promoting the use of generic, already-standards-track solutions, instead
of trying to police each new reincarnation of the same thing? It would
have been nice if, given that this MIB is a work item of an IETF WG, the
IESG had put in some provision in the WG charter about re-use of
existing IETF work where appropriate, rather than reinventing the wheel
(which this looks like - see my first sentence above though). Granted,
there is a choice of almost-equivalent wheels for packet
matching/filtering in the IETF standards-track repertoire but that's not
an argument for creating yet another one.

This is one aspect of the general IETF process issue of how to ensure
that appropriate "subject matter experts" are available to a WG that
needs them, even when that subject matter's own WG is no longer
existent: the more generic the solutions that IESG steers us to, the
less this maintenance problem will be.

Reuse of already-defined MIB ojects/tables is also one of the issues
that an SMIng should try to make easier (and people have been looking at
doing this, I believe).

Andrew Smith