RE: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs

"Andrew Smith" <ah_smith@acm.org> Fri, 07 March 2003 17:08 UTC

From: Andrew Smith <ah_smith@acm.org>
To: "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Cc: diffserv@ietf.org, Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com, jf.mule@cablelabs.com, narten@us.ibm.com, erik.nordmark@sun.com
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Dscp and DscpOrAny TCs
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:44:41 -0800
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

Bert,

When you say "bring their stuff under the IETF umbrella", are you saying
that the original MIB in question was developed outside of IETF and is
being brought in, or are you talking about the link technology itself?

If the latter, then I think the older IEEE802/IETF cooperation model on
MIBs works OK - there you had an IETF WG (bridge, maumib, ifmib etc.)
defining SMI MIBs under IETF root OID and having WG contributors make
sure that adequate coordination happened; a newer model where IEEE802
has defined some of its own SMI MIBs has also been working OK (e.g. Link
Aggregation MIB from IEEE802, defined under IEEE802's own root OID).

For the former case, what I don't think works is to have a MIB defined
outside of IETF and then brought to the IETF for some reason. What would
be the reason to do that? for IETF endorsement, for having IETF fixing
things that are broken, just to use the IETF root OID? I don't know the
specific reasons in this case for how this work got here. But it's
obvious to me that, if you bring existing work to IETF for
standardisation, be it the work of another standards' group, an industry
group or individual contributions, *you give up change control* and you
do not get any guarantees of backwards-compatibility: naturally you
don't expect gratuitous non-compatibility with earlier work - the WG
needs a valid reason to change something and one such reason would be
alignment with other IETF MIBs.

[Note that, for this particular example of filter/pattern-matching on IP
packets with DSCPs, I'd originally proposed a separate generic MIB
module (included a "sixTupleClassifier" table) for the reason of making
it clear that this was general purpose and should be used by other MIBs,
including the Diffserv MIB. However, in the end, it was decided to merge
it into the main Diffserv MIB module (it became the
"diffServMultiFieldClfrTable" in RFC3289 - maybe it is less visible
there but maybe ADs can do something to raise awareness of its presence
amongst other WGs].

Andrew Smith