[Dime] RE : Re: Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dime-drmp-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Wed, 11 May 2016 18:23 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Alexe Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>, "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 18:23:21 +0000
Cc: "draft-ietf-dime-drmp@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dime-drmp@ietf.org>, "dime-chairs@ietf.org" <dime-chairs@ietf.org>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: [Dime] RE : Re: Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dime-drmp-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

I still don't get the issue with multiple applications when defining a solution that is actually application-agnostic (with the clarification given in my previous mail)

I think it is clear that some text is required to clarify the need for the default handling and the reason for the "should" with the alternative "operator policies/application guidelines".

But I will see the additional text that will provide in the updated draft.

Thx all the constructive discussion.

Lionel

Not sent from an IPhone.

Le 11 mai 2016 19:11, Alexe Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm> a écrit :

Hi Mirja,

> On 11 May 2016, at 07:07, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) <ietf@kuehlewind.net> wrote:
>
> Okay let me go for an example here and see if that can be a use case that we are talking about.

Yes, this is helpful.

> You have a system where some clients run a communication service for emergency doctors as well as for firefighters and then there are also ‚normal‘ users that run some kind of communication service.
>
> Now you actually have an emergency: some part of the system is down and the number of request is high such that the system is overloaded.
>
> Both the emergency doctors have would have two different priority classes, one for important message about instruction (what and where people should do something) and one for communication between the doctors/firefighters which has still higher priority than any other communication of the other people (as you assume doctors and firefighters are more responsible to not misuse this communication channel).
>
> Now only the emergency doctors communication service was upgraded to use this extension, but the firefighter’s administrations is just too slow or they currently have not enough money because they have specialized expensive hardware and software that is not easy to change.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do that..." - "Don't do that!"

I don't think this would be a common deployment case.

I agree that there is an issue in the scenario you specified. Default priority helps with a single application + normal (unupgraded) traffic. I do think it helps with the most common case. So instead of having lots of SHOULDs and MAYs, I suggest we add text describing possible issues and when multiple DIAMETER applications are deployed we either recommend that all clients are upgraded to support this extension at the same time or at least deployments specify compatible policies for different applications.

I can suggest some text.

> Is it okay in this situation that the private chat of two doctors about their last ski-holidays starves requests to access the network to send instructor message to the firefighters?

We can't prevent all problems like this, as the above is really a social problem combined with misconfiguration. But we can warn about it.

> (And how do i make sure that that all other other requests actually select a lower priority than 10…? But that’s a different question…)
>
> Mirja
>

>> Am 11.05.2016 um 06:59 schrieb Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>:
>>
>> Hi Mirja,

>>> I think we are still talking past each other.
>>
>> Most definitely :-).
>>
>>> If you explicitly assign a priority, starvation might be okay. However, if you don’t have a priority explicitly signaled, the transaction might have a very high priority
>>
>> So some agent in the system needs to decide that a transaction is important.
>>> but you just don’t know and by assigning a random mid-range priority this important request could get starved.
>>
>> Here I disagree with you, because the way to know that a transaction is important is to upgrade client to explicitly assign high priority to it. So default priority is a backward compatibility mechanism, that would work for most common cases. You seem to be suggesting that when this extension is deployed all clients need to be updated at the same time. This is not realistic.

Thank you.