Re: [Dime] Ben's comments on 5.2.2: 5th paragraph

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Tue, 20 January 2015 18:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:17:21 -0600
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
To: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] Ben's comments on 5.2.2: 5th paragraph

On 1/15/15 10:17 AM, Steve Donovan wrote:

> On 1/15/15 9:15 AM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>>> On Jan 15, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Steve Donovan
>>> <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> wrote:

>>> changed to:
>>> The reacting node MUST apply throttling abatement treatment to requests
>>> identified for abatement treatment  when diversion treatment
>>> is not possible or was not applied.
>>>
>> I agree in general. But I suggest casting in the form of MUST apply
>> an abatement treatment, which SHOULD be diversion if possible. That
>> is, avoid baking the current fact that we have only two treatment
>> possibilities into the normative language. In the odd chance we come
>> up with some new kind of treatment in the future, this form would
>> require less modification.
> SRD> Ok. I'll propose wording later.
SRD> Looking at this again, the previous paragraph handles the MUST
apply abatement treatment.  The paragraph in question handles the SHOULD
do diversion.  I've  added the sentence I suggested above and a note.
The new text looks as follows:

    If the overload abatement algorithm selects the request for overload
    abatement treatment then the reacting node MUST apply overload
    abatement treatment on the request.  The abatement treatment applied
    depends on the context of the request.

    If diversion abatement treatment is possible (i.e. a different path
    for the request can be selected where the overloaded node is not part
    of the different path), then the reacting node SHOULD apply diversion
    abatement treatment to the request.  The reacting node MUST apply
    throttling abatement treatment to requests identified for abatement
    treatment when diversion treatment is not possible or was not
    applied.

       Note: This only addresses the case where there are two defined
       abatement treatments, diversion and throttling.  Any extension
       that defines a new abatement treatment must also defined the
       interaction of the new abatement treatment with existing
       treatments.