Re: [Dime] DOIC #70 - Proposed resolution to core issue

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Wed, 01 October 2014 13:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 08:27:49 -0500
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
To: "Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <ulrich.wiehe@nsn.com>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] DOIC #70 - Proposed resolution to core issue

Ulrich,

Yes, but the proposed resolution for #70 is that a DOIC supporting agent
strip host overload reports from requests that did not have a
destination-host AVP.  The justification for this has been that the
client might not send to the host and that would cause the client to
save extra OCS entries.

The client will need to be prepared to handle overload state received in
this type of a request when there is not a DOIC supporting agent, so
there is no savings in logic to be implemented in the client by having
DOIC agents strip host reports.

In addition, the client is the best place to determine if a host report
is useful or not.  In the many cases the client will send subsequent
host reports to the server.  This will be the case in many session based
applications where the first request is realm-routed and subsequent
requests are sent to the server that handled the session initiating
transaction.

I'm ok with adding wording to the specification along the lines of "the
client SHOULD save the OCS state for all received host overload
reports.  The client MAY not save the state if it knows that it will
never send a host-routed request to the server.   This might be the
case, for instance, when the client always sends realm-routed request
for the application."

Regards,

Steve