[Dime] RE : RE: RE : RE: RE : Re: draft reply LS to 3GPP SA5 on RFC 4006..

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Tue, 09 August 2016 08:47 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: "Gardella, Maryse (Nokia - FR)" <maryse.gardella@nokia.com>, Yuval Lifshitz <ylifshitz@sandvine.com>, "jouni.nospam@gmail.com" <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 08:47:30 +0000
Subject: [Dime] RE : RE: RE : RE: RE : Re: draft reply LS to 3GPP SA5 on RFC 4006..

Dear Maryse,

The clarification is intended to clarify the wording "new Diameter base protocol" used incorrectly in the LS and then clarify the notion of "obsoleted-by" used by IETF and the consequence on documents referencing the obsoleted RFC. And the 3GPP charging specification refers to both RFC4006 and RFC3588.

To make the recommendation clear, would the following rewording be acceptable?:

"any document using the IETF RFC 3588 as reference for the Diameter base protocol should be updated to refer to the new IETF RFC 6733. Therefore, as a general guideline, the IETF DIME WG recommends 3GPP WGs to follow this recommendation in their specifications when applicable. The same recommendation will apply for the revision of the IETF RFC 4006 when published by the IETF as for any new RFC obsoleting an old RFC."

Regards,

Lionel
Le 9 août 2016 10:13, "Gardella, Maryse (Nokia - FR)" <maryse.gardella@nokia.com> a écrit :

> Hi Lionel,
>

> Thanks for this clarification.
>
> I am not sure about this reminder in the context of this LS, unless it is intended to propose guidance on how to deal with the reference to RFC 4006:
>

> Could we have:
>
> “any document using the IETF RFC 3588 as reference for the Diameter base protocol should be updated to refer to the new IETF RFC 6733. Therefore, as a general guideline, the IETF DIME WG recommends 3GPP WGs to follow this recommendation in their specifications when applicable. When IETF RFC 4006 is refered-to, the recommendation is to further consider alignment with RFC 4006 planned to be updated with new IETF RFC 6733“
>

> Or an alternative recommendation?
>

> BR
>
> Maryse

Thank you.