Re: [Dime] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis-06

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Mon, 05 March 2018 21:45 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 15:45:31 -0600
Cc: ops-ads@ietf.org, dime@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis.all@ietf.org
To: Yuval Lifshitz <yuvalif@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Dime] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis-06

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 2:37 PM, Yuval Lifshitz <yuvalif@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben,
> * Will remove the normative language from 15.2 and 15.3
> * "Is there reasonable guidance one could give to not encode personal information in the URL?". The other option is passing the personal info in some out-of-band way, it make the whole thing more complex, but could add that as a point to consider

Well, there’s a difference between constructing a a URL in form of “server/<rnd-number-that-changes-alot>/… vs “server/<user-name>/…”. Both may have privacy issues but the latter seem worse.

> * "Is there reasonable guidance that could be given to avoid putting privacy sensitive info in these?" - not really, the goal of these AVPs is to carry such information if needed by the credit-control server

The text said “depending on how the service-provider uses them”. Can you elaborate on that? It doesn’t need to be details, maybe just a sentence or two.

> On a different note, is there any active work done on Diameter base privacy consideration and end2end/AVP encryption? Should this WG look into that?

There’s been off and on work on e2e encryption. RFC 7966 offers a problem statement and requirements. I don’t think we are likely to find energy in DIME to progress a solution at this time, but I’d love to be proven wrong :-)