[Dime] M-bit setting in draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis-02

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Mon, 17 July 2017 15:29 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com>, "Gardella, Maryse (Nokia - FR/Nozay)" <maryse.gardella@nokia.com>, Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>
CC: "dime@ietf.org list" <dime@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:29:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Subject: [Dime] M-bit setting in draft-ietf-dime-rfc4006bis-02

Hi,

Sorry for this late comment.

As stated in RFC6733,

   It is the decision of the protocol designer when to develop a new
   Diameter application rather than extending Diameter in other ways.
   However, a new Diameter application MUST be created when one or more
   of the following criteria are met:

   M-bit Setting

      An AVP with the M-bit in the MUST column of the AVP flag table is
      added to an existing Command/Application.  An AVP with the M-bit
      in the MAY column of the AVP flag table is added to an existing
      Command/Application.

Therefore, if it is proposed to keep the existing DCC application-id, the newly defined AVPs must be defined with the M-bit put in the MUST NOT column:

                                            +---------------+
                                            |AVP Flag rules |
                                            |----+-----+----|
                     AVP  Section           |    |     |MUST|
   Attribute Name    Code Defined Data Type |MUST| MAY |NOT |
   -----------------------------------------|----+-----+----|
   QoS-Final-Unit-  TBD17 8.68   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     Indication                             |    |     |    |
   Redirect-Server  TBD13 8.64   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     -Extension                             |    |     |    |
   Redirect-Address TBD14 8.65   Address    |    |  M  |  V |
     -IPAddress                             |    |     |    |
   Redirect-Address TBD15 8.66   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -URL                                   |    |     |    |
   Redirect-Address TBD16 8.67   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -SIP-URI                               |    |     |    |
   Subscription-Id  TBD7  8.58   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     -Extension                             |    |     |    |
   Subscription-Id  TBD8  8.59   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -E164                                  |    |     |    |
   Subscription-Id  TBD9  8.60   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -IMSI                                  |    |     |    |
   Subscription-Id  TBD10 8.61   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -SIP-URI                               |    |     |    |
   Subscription-Id  TBD11 8.62   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -NAI                                   |    |     |    |
   Subscription-Id  TBD12 8.63   UTF8String |    |  M  |  V |
     -Private                               |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD1  8.52   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-Extension                        |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD2  8.53   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-IMEISV                           |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD3  8.54   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-MAC                              |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD4  8.55   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-EUI64                            |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD5  8.56   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-ModifiedEUI64                    |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD6  8.57   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |

Now, regarding existing AVPs with the M-bit put in the MAY column (listed below), I would recommend not to use the MAY column but to specific in which DCC commands the M-bit setting may change for some AVP, as indicated in RFC6733 and RFC7423.

>From RFC6733:

      Note: The M-bit setting for a given AVP is relevant to an
      Application and each command within that application that includes
      the AVP.  That is, if an AVP appears in two commands for
      application Foo and the M-bit settings are different in each
      command, then there should be two AVP flag tables describing when
      to set the M-bit.

For AVPs for which there is no clear use case for change of the M-bit setting in the DCC app, the M-bit should be put in the MUST column. It may be the case for all the AVPs listed below (I've not checked). Other applications using DCC commands can decide to set or clear the M-bit of the related DCC commands' AVPs without any constraint.

                                            +---------------+
                                            |AVP Flag rules |
                                            |----+-----+----|
                     AVP  Section           |    |     |MUST|
   Attribute Name    Code Defined Data Type |MUST| MAY |NOT |
   -----------------------------------------|----+-----+----|
   CC-Correlation-Id 411  8.1    OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
   Service-Parameter 440  8.43   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     -Info                                  |    |     |    |
   Service-          441  8.44   Unsigned32 |    |  M  |  V |
     Parameter-Type                         |    |     |    |
   Service-          442  8.45   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     Parameter-Value                        |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment    458  8.49   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     -Info                                  |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment    459  8.50   Enumerated |    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-Type                             |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment    460  8.51   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-Value                            |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD1  8.52   Grouped    |    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-Extension                        |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD2  8.53   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-IMEISV                           |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD3  8.54   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-MAC                              |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD4  8.55   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-EUI64                            |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD5  8.56   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-ModifiedEUI64                    |    |     |    |
   User-Equipment   TBD6  8.57   OctetString|    |  M  |  V |
     -Info-IMEI                             |    |     |    |

Regards,

Lionel