Re: [Dime] freeDiameter 1.0.0 released

Sebastien Decugis <sdecugis@nict.go.jp> Mon, 30 August 2010 01:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:59 +0900
From: Sebastien Decugis <sdecugis@nict.go.jp>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] freeDiameter 1.0.0 released

 Hello Hannes,

Thank you for this kind message :) I am also convinced that having an
open implementation of the Base Protocol will help improve the quality
of future Diameter works, and the freeDiameter implementation was
created with this goal in mind.

About integration with existing systems, as Alan mentioned, we have
discussed about this possibility already; but the freeradius code
heavily relies on the RADIUS messages structure and re-using this code
would require a large rewriting to abstract the message structure and
format (for example to be able to reuse freeradius backends with
freeDiameter). This is a work I cannot undertake myself at the moment,
and in any case it would be more or less equivalent to a
Diameter-to-RADIUS gateway implementation (the project already contains
a RADIUS-to-Diameter gateway extension).

On the bright side, I have received feedback from many people who are
interested in the implementation, and I believe the project will grow
quite quickly, with new modules to provide the most useful features.
FreeDiameter is very young, so the API is not very stable yet (I plan to
change the structure a little so that it is easier to implement Diameter
client application in existing software) but I expect it to mature
quickly with a growing community of users in the next few months.

Thank you for the support!

Best regards,
Sebastien.