Re: [Dime] [abfab] New Version Notification for draft-winter-radext-populating-eapidentity-00.txt

Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es> Wed, 19 February 2014 12:32 UTC

From: Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:32:15 +0100
To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
Cc: "radext@ietf.org" <radext@ietf.org>, abfab@ietf.org, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>, "<emu@ietf.org>" <emu@ietf.org>, Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Subject: Re: [Dime] [abfab] New Version Notification for draft-winter-radext-populating-eapidentity-00.txt

Hi Stefan:

I have taken a look to this draft. Regarding the conversion to UTF-8 nothing to say.

Regarding

"1.  The choice of identity to send in EAP-Response/Identity may have
       detrimental effects on the subsequent EAP type negotiation."

as far as I remember, it was discussed long time ago as a problem of network selection (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5113). See section 2.2. Identity Selection. Your approach here (if I properly understood) seems to allow the user to try all the identities before reporting an error (note that this may imply association/dissociation processes at link-layer to re-start the whole authentication process). The approach there is to provide the user with the required information to select the right username.

In the particular case of WiFi networks it would be also good to take a look to IEEE 802.11u and hotspot 2.0 (e.g. these slides, which you may already know, are interesting http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-mobility/meetings/26/07-11u-Dave.pptx)

Just my 0.02 cents.

Best Regards.

P.D: Btw, I agree with Alan: it would good to have a "roaming inter-operations" WG.

P.D.2: Among other things, it would be also good if some information about accessible realms from a NAS could be provided in a dynamic way to the peer.