Re: [Dime] error in IANA allocations for RFC 5447 (attributes 124 and 125)

Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com> Mon, 06 August 2018 12:59 UTC

From: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 08:59:39 -0400
Cc: dime <dime@ietf.org>, iana <iana@iana.org>, radext@ietf.org, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Denis Ovsienko <denis@ovsienko.info>
Subject: Re: [Dime] error in IANA allocations for RFC 5447 (attributes 124 and 125)

On Aug 6, 2018, at 8:01 AM, Denis Ovsienko <denis@ovsienko.info> wrote:
> Recently I was reviewing some code that adds support for two RFC 5447 RADIUS AVPs below:
>
>   The MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix AVP (AVP Code 125) is of type OctetString
>   The MIP6-Feature-Vector AVP (AVP Code 124) is of type Unsigned64 and
>
> It turned out, the current RADIUS Types registry at https://www.iana.org/assignments/radius-types/radius-types.xhtml lists both attributes with wrong types:
>
> 125 	MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix 	ipv6prefix 	[RFC5447]

  That is definitely wrong.  The "ipv6prefix" format is different than the one used by MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix in RFC 5337.

> 124 	MIP6-Feature-Vector 	string 	[RFC5447]

  That issue is a bit different.  64-bit integers were defined in RFC 6929 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6929#section-2.5) long after RFC 5447 was published.

  So at the time RFC 5447 was published, "string" was the correct definition.

> Those incorrect types had propagated from the IANA registry into FreeRADIUS and Wireshark (both have been fixed now for MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix, see the discussion and the follow-ups at https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/pull/636 if interested).
>
> Having studied this discrepancy thoroughly, I had concluded the AVP definitions are correct in RFC 5447, so I did not file an erratum. The problem seems to be with those IANA allocations only. Could somebody review this issue and put the IANA allocations right?

 In the end, I think that the incorrect IANA allocations were a result of the updates done in RFC 8044.  The early drafts had a table which updated all of the IANA data types, e.g.:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-radext-datatypes-05#section-4.2

  The MIP6 attributes are listed there as "ipv6prefix" and "string".  As the author of RFC 8044, I think that's my mistake.  Updating hundreds of attributes required reading many RFCs, and it's understandable that a few mistakes were made.

  Unless there are objections from DIME or RADEXT, I think it would be best for IANA to update the registry as follows:

125 	MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix 	string 	[RFC5447]
124 	MIP6-Feature-Vector 	integer64 	[RFC5447]

  We may need approval from the AD (Ben).  Explicit consensus from the WG would also be helpful.

  Alan DeKok.