Re: [Dime] [dime] #31: Sending OC-Ongoing-Throttling-Info AVP in request messages that survived a throttling

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Fri, 14 February 2014 09:23 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: "Nirav Salot (nsalot)" <nsalot@cisco.com>, Maria Cruz Bartolome <maria.cruz.bartolome@ericsson.com>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:22:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.1]
Subject: Re: [Dime] [dime] #31: Sending OC-Ongoing-Throttling-Info AVP in request messages that survived a throttling

Hi all,

I don't think that a reporting node may/can/would like to ensure/choose/guarantee anything :)
I'm ok with the intention of the text but we may probably word it in a different way.

Moreover, the first sentence is somehow incorrect. Not all the reacting nodes need to be aware of the new status. Only those which have received a previous OLR are targeted. I think that the requirement is that reporting and reacting nodes share the most up-to-date info and therefore it is recommended to send the OLR in every answer.

I have a comment anyway on the following note:

Note - the reporting node may also include the overload report in answer messages sent to non reacting nodes if that is more efficient.  The overload report will just be ignored by a Diameter node that does not support DOIC.

This is contradicting the statement given in 5.3.2:

   The answer message initiating endpoint MUST NOT include any overload
   control solution defined AVPs into its answer messages if the request
   message initiating endpoint has not indicated support at the
   beginning of the created session (or transaction in a case of non-
   session state maintaining applications).  The same also applies if
   none of the announced capabilities match between the two endpoints.

Regards,

Lionel