Re: [Dime] Proposed resolutions of LOAD discussion

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Tue, 30 August 2016 03:59 UTC

To: Maria Cruz Bartolome <maria.cruz.bartolome@ericsson.com>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:59:09 +0800
Subject: Re: [Dime] Proposed resolutions of LOAD discussion

Maria Cruz,

Thanks for your comments.  See my replies inline.

Regards,

Steve

On 8/25/16 5:31 PM, Maria Cruz Bartolome wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>
> Thanks for the proposals, see below
> Best regards
> /MCruz

work.  As such, I prefer to not change this at this stage of the process.

> 2) Need to add wording that the calculated LOAD value needs to be based on overall available capacity.
>
> I agree with Maria Cruz's comment that we need to add wording indicating that the calculated LOAD value needs to reflect available capacity.  To this end, I propose adding the following to section 6.1 (this is based on wording proposed by Maria Cruz):
>
> The calculated LOAD value MUST reflect the Diameter nodes capacity relative to the total available capacity across the Diameter nodes to which requests can be routed.  This could be either a set of Diameter endpoints or a set of Diameter agents, depending on the type of the LOAD report.  The method for determining the total available capacity is outside of the scope of this document.
>
>      Note: The LOAD value should be calculated in a way that reflects the available load independently of the weight of each
>      server.  This allows the Diameter node that routes a request, including nodes doing server selection and agents routing
>      requests, to accurately compare values from different nodes.  Any specific LOAD value needs to identify  the same
>      amount of available capacity, regardless the Diameter node that calculates the value.
>
> The mechanism used to calculate the LOAD value that fulfills this requirement is an implementation decision.
>

> [MCruz] Some comments to proposed text:
> " The calculated LOAD value MUST reflect the Diameter nodes capacity relative to the total available capacity across the Diameter nodes to which requests can be routed. ": I think it may be misleading what is the "total available capacity across nodes".
> See proposal:
> " The calculated LOAD value MUST reflect each Diameter node capacity relative to the maximum available capacity for a Diameter node to which requests can be routed."
SRD> This wording could imply that the LOAD value carries load
information for multiple Diameter nodes.  How about the following:

"The calculated LOAD value MUST reflect the sending Diameter nodes
capacity relative to the maximum available capacity for the sending
Diameter node."

> 3) Wording in Appendix A.
>
> Before we reword Appendix A, we need to decide if it is still needed.
> It was valuable in helping to generate the solution but I'm not convinced it is still needed in the document.  Is there objection to removing this section?
>
> [MCruz] I prefer this to remain, it provides some hints that may be valuable for first time readers.
SRD> I'd like to hear other opinions on this as there is work required
to make the section consistent with the mechanism defined. Implementors
will still have access to this information by reviewing the history of
the process of writing the specification.

SRD> Are there schedule pressures in 3GPP to get this to RFC state?  If
so, it will be faster to just remove this section.