Re: [Dime] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-ietf-dime-doic-rate-control-10: (with COMMENT)

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Mon, 04 February 2019 19:37 UTC

To: dime@ietf.org
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 13:37:18 -0600
Subject: Re: [Dime] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-ietf-dime-doic-rate-control-10: (with COMMENT)

Spencer,

Thanks for the review and comments.  Please see my comments inline.

Steve

On 1/22/19 6:06 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-dime-doic-rate-control-10: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-doic-rate-control/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you for doing this work, and for basing it on SIP Overload Control. It's
> nice when protocol designers adopt good ideas from each other.
>
> There are three SHOULDs in Section 5.1, Reporting Node Overload Control State,
> I'd like to understand better.
>
>    A reporting node that uses the rate abatement algorithm SHOULD
>    maintain reporting node Overload Control State (OCS) for each
>    reacting node to which it sends a rate Overload Report (OLR).
>
> ^^ This one - I'm guessing that this is "SHOULD unless you're still writing
> code upgrading an implementation that treats all reacting nodes the same way",
> based on this next sentence, but I'm guessing. Why wouldn't you do this?
SRD> If all reacting nodes are equal then an implementation could choose
to have a single OCS entry the applies to all nodes.

>       This is different from the behavior defined in [RFC7683] where a
>       single loss percentage sent to all reacting nodes.
>
>    A reporting node SHOULD maintain OCS entries when using the rate
>    abatement algorithm per supported Diameter application, per targeted
>    reacting node and per report type.
>
> ^^ Your answer to my previous question is likely to help me understand this
> one, but I'm guessing reasons why you wouldn't do this.
SRD> Same reason as above.
>
>    A rate OCS entry is identified by the tuple of Application-Id, report
>    type and DiameterIdentity of the target of the rate OLR.
>
>    The rate OCS entry SHOULD include the rate allocated to the reacting
>    note.
>
> ^^ I'm really interested on this one - does the rate abatement algorithm work
> without knowing the rate that's allocated? but assuming that it does work, I'm
> still guessing why you wouldn't do this.
SRD> It's related to the above.  If the implementation chooses to always
calculate the rate sent to a reacting node based a simple calculation of
"max rate" divided by "number of reacting nodes", then it would not need
to store the rate in the OCS.