Re: [Dime] diameter overload protection

"Poscic, Kristian (Kristian)" <kristian.poscic@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 17 December 2013 17:52 UTC

From: "Poscic, Kristian (Kristian)" <kristian.poscic@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "TROTTIN, JEAN-JACQUES (JEAN-JACQUES)" <jean-jacques.trottin@alcatel-lucent.com>, "dime@ietf.org list" <dime@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 17:52:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.5.27.16]
Subject: Re: [Dime] diameter overload protection

Ok, makes sense. Thanks JJ.

From: TROTTIN, JEAN-JACQUES (JEAN-JACQUES)
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:13 AM
To: Poscic, Kristian (Kristian); dime@ietf.org list
Subject: RE: diameter overload protection

Hi Kristian and  all

The main principle is that overload reports (OLR) are send from a reporting node (eg a server)   to a reacting node (eg a client) for a given Diameter application (eg Gx) with a traffic % reduction that the reacting node  will apply to the traffic it sends to this reporting node.  In addition we have the realm OLR that address a traffic  reduction to apply to requests sent  to a realm when the server  is not known. About piggybacking, the above described OLRs  are conveyed  in the Diameter answers between the concerned  server (or realm) and client for  a given Diameter application , and does not depend of the Diameter session
This resume the baseline mechanism   aimed in the draft, given that extensibility facilities are included to allow future extensions according to new requirements.

Regarding  your  remark that the % of reduction may apply to the traffic of  a Diameter session , this option was evocated  at the beginning of Diameter overlaod  discussions. This option  is not part of the baseline mechanism described  in this draft as having a too fine granularity and as you indicated diminishing the  efficiency of the overload control.  This option may be studied again in the future if there are relevant t requirements for it.

We will check and possibly review the wording of the draft  to avoid any ambiguity on the above.

Best regards

JJacques