Re: [Din] [T2TRG] [T2TRG/Din] Discussion New draft for draft-hong-iot-edge-computing-00.txt

Jungha Hong <jhong@etri.re.kr> Thu, 12 July 2018 02:50 UTC

From: Jungha Hong <jhong@etri.re.kr>
To: "wjgo_10009@btinternet.com" <wjgo_10009@btinternet.com>, "din@irtf.org" <din@irtf.org>, "thorstendlux=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org" <thorstendlux=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "t2trg@irtf.org" <t2trg@irtf.org>
CC: "joosang.youn@gmail.com" <joosang.youn@gmail.com>, 홍용근 <yghong@etri.re.kr>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 02:49:51 +0000
x-new-displayname: SnVuZ2hhIEhvbmc=
x-originating-ip: [129.254.28.44]
Subject: Re: [Din] [T2TRG] [T2TRG/Din] Discussion New draft for draft-hong-iot-edge-computing-00.txt

Dear William,

Thanks for your support on this discussion.

We actually asked T2TRG for a slot to present it but slot was not available.

So, the chairs recommended to start a discussion on the mailing list and they will arrange a side meeting if needed.

Yes, we don't have much time to discuss it before the Monteal meeting as you mentioned.

So, please keep giving any suggestions and comments on this draft.

We are also interested in discussing a IETF/IRTF role for IoT Edge computing.

Please jump in this discussion if you have any concerns on what IETF/IRTF to do for IoT Edge computing.

Thanks,

Jungha Hong

________________________________
보낸 사람 : "William_J_G Overington" <wjgo_10009@btinternet.com>
보낸 날짜 : 2018-07-12 00:20:49 ( +09:00 )
받는 사람 : din@irtf.org <din@irtf.org>, thorstendlux=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org <thorstendlux=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, t2trg@irtf.org <t2trg@irtf.org>, 홍정하 <jhong@etri.re.kr>
참조 : wjgo_10009@btinternet.com <wjgo_10009@btinternet.com>, joosang.youn@gmail.com <joosang.youn@gmail.com>, 홍용근 <yghong@etri.re.kr>
제목 : Re: [T2TRG] [T2TRG/Din] Discussion New draft for draft-hong-iot-edge-computing-00.txt

Thorsten Dahm wrote:

> I read the document. What I miss are the solutions.

Well, the title of the document is as follows.

Problem Statement of IoT integrated with Edge Computing

The email announcing the post has the following.

>> We would like to start a discussion first on the mailing list before the Montreal meeting.

>> Please take a look and give us any comments.

>> We hope to get an enough comments for a side meeting in Montreal.

I just found out that the meeting in Montreal starts this Saturday, that is in three days time, and goes on for a week. So discussion needs to get going promptly if enough comments for a side meeting in Montreal as desired are to become gathered.

I posted yesterday and thus far nobody has responded at all to my post, whether to comment or to ask a question.

It seems to me that Edge computing is potentially very important in relation to the Internet of Things and so the Problem Statement of IoT integrated with Edge Computing document is of significance.

Something that I have been wondering about is this: How will devices communicate? For example, will it be by email technology or what? Is email suitable for some applications but not for others: for example, if gathering temperature data for a weather map as a matter of record maybe email will be fast enough with measurements all taking place at a specified time and then results all sent in by email. What methods are available if faster communication is required?

For example, could an IoT device have a mobile telephone built into it so that it could send an email by a mobile telephone connection?

Maybe these are simplistic questions from a beginner but the best way to make progress is for people to build on previous comments and not get into ad hominem comments as to whether someone who knows so little of the field at present should be contributing to the discussion or anything like that.

Just imagine please that we are all sat in a common room having a cup of tea, or peppermint tea or whatever and chatting informally.

The authors of the Problem Statement of IoT integrated with Edge Computing document have provided a platform for discussion so how about let us have the discussion as they requested please.

William Overington

Wednesday 11 July 2018