Re: [Din] Updated charter proposal

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 13 July 2018 15:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:35:05 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Paulo Mendes <paulo.mendes@ulusofona.pt>
Cc: Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@nomountain.net>, "din@irtf.org" <din@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Din] Updated charter proposal

Great points Paulo

Let me also add some:

Nomadic connectivity:
Use instead of "intermittent connectivity".  IMHO actually a likely
interesting area for DINRG also because AFAIK, 5/6G introduces lightweight
IoT UE profiles without seamless mobility (so the network can support an
order of magnitude more UE/cell).

Distributed/Decentralized:
Unless there is well defined terminology to the contrary (please point me
to an authoritative place if there is), i would make up our own definition,
and that is that distributed is a subset of decentralized. That would allow
to use a single word (decentralized) without excluding the other. Include
note to that effect somewhere (charter etc..).

Geographically dispersed and heterogenuous:
Cloud native DC apps today can often be characterized as consisting
of multiple roles. Each role has one or more active instances for
load-sharing (often called leaders). These are backed by followers
in standby with whom state is shared  so they can take over. And
when instances fail, new ones are restarted to maintain resilience.

So, what DINRG should want to think about is then what is untraditional for
DC: The heterogenity of possible instances, geographic distrbution
of instances and the resulting delay and thoughput limitations between
instances, but gained throughput/delay to clients, and geographic placement
for resilience, etc. pp.

Note that DCs of course start to think about these things to, because
the DC likely will become of of a microcosmos of WAN networks. YOu
will have more and more compartmentalized connetivity, so you can not
schedule instances arbitrarily and hope there is no network bottleneck
then, you also will have more specialized resources not available
on every node (NN/AI, GPU, CPU, maybe even NPU) and schedule accordingly.
Heck, you may want to schedule based on security (to avoid side-channels)
Thats fine. Any advanced solution that include these complex aspects of
heterogenity should be interesting forr DINRG. It doesn't have to be WAN,
but of course WAN is likely the ultimate challenge to meet for many
problems.

Cheers
    Toerless