Re: [Din] Using Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) to enable Decentralized Single Sign across different blockchains thereby enabling Interoperability - Nathan Aw from Singapore

Melinda Shore <> Tue, 04 September 2018 06:14 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id E9AF3130E04 for <>; Mon, 3 Sep 2018 23:14:01 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.91
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.91 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, T_DKIMWL_WL_MED=-0.01] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key)
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 6Sql4UJqJKBj for <>; Mon, 3 Sep 2018 23:14:00 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:20::535]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 0A16D130E08 for <>; Mon, 3 Sep 2018 23:14:00 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by with SMTP id i190-v6so1123295pgc.6 for <>; Mon, 03 Sep 2018 23:14:00 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20150623; h=subject:to:references:from:message-id:date:user-agent:mime-version :in-reply-to:content-language:content-transfer-encoding; bh=K2izKt4UWuRO+mnepZQ+/jrtYtGsnU3BGdY0LujrhO4=; b=cv9FdHuiQb/zPmgDQ+2Bf4AoNdLRm5QplgKwKuqxGo2Z4RTFH70tmm3dwVOhQN2Sz0 3Up2hV5RPT+Om8heWt0ItI3xVPwSX3BCd3UI0jRBWR+ZqPMXQjv3OXXBH/pdyN7hVhmB x0TkUDLUT4IzcsFlPoqhK79ocYrmFOiwxkQf6+yde7sLVF1UbhRuRHcUOjF97KSGgDfj g/gvRnXTPMX12IKwD4R4RUpQKEHTv9mIJjNGkyTQUxSU/rqViHqJKmPXJYjDPQAv1JAT lwmVTqjHQA6TctEq0mqEMJ357mGa0s0clKS+FWq8beIxmD0dMHdempTC4PWPb5nKFGgY giRQ==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20161025; h=x-gm-message-state:subject:to:references:from:message-id:date :user-agent:mime-version:in-reply-to:content-language :content-transfer-encoding; bh=K2izKt4UWuRO+mnepZQ+/jrtYtGsnU3BGdY0LujrhO4=; b=erFUxjLqhRj/Cns8meNaXK7P1R4EJ+hSVV5lj6ajdP2Q//ehGLQRGEiPiS+/F2cUmW MR7uRHsBIyT+mv7x2d5JWtNNeRntG8Uee938Gs33llBIgcN0yK68xsqnaqOCgFwME41U 8RGHfUbyc88IsgZwNY/omQFFTBOJgn07iGSjnYtsr/LKhyGhEWthVfB8ozhSPwewP5sE XJVNLYUooSyLkaQF85dBDXZt9KWNCJNfpyNejvszOsPJJDWJnkFXewhxIXirZaz+w4N3 frznnUxjh56l7tFNkYQd3wndZcGORPv9lRUFZRU9k8kEpTdSoMVx+hLpfKjH8I1nhYwu R7ig==
X-Gm-Message-State: APzg51Ci2JFT7ladQ/rXsL5iSUjGX6b6eE4d+XkgGZwCLj7MbYO/H0O4 fAZ4iyA61BVSw6CG3b4bIGwO
X-Google-Smtp-Source: ANB0VdbfBmT9WleaVNyQ3+nOJIC9XY4uOwSYwHSAlx9dPXPvZc94Aqeb2/PrqdxAd9tBZXm5kK46hg==
X-Received: by 2002:a63:d244:: with SMTP id t4-v6mr29112911pgi.335.1536041639658; Mon, 03 Sep 2018 23:13:59 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from aspen.local ( []) by with ESMTPSA id c1-v6sm41238597pfg.25.2018. (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Mon, 03 Sep 2018 23:13:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: Nathan Aw <>,,
References: <>
From: Melinda Shore <>
Message-ID: <>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 22:13:57 -0800
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Archived-At: <>
Subject: Re: [Din] Using Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) to enable Decentralized Single Sign across different blockchains thereby enabling Interoperability - Nathan Aw from Singapore
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.27
Precedence: list
List-Id: "Discussion of distributed Internet Infrastructure approaches, aspects such as Service Federation, and underlying technologies" <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 06:14:02 -0000

On 9/2/18 6:09 AM, Nathan Aw wrote:
> Is there someone in this mailing list who is keen on sharing inputs into
> this model so that we all could move towards a standard-based
> decentralized identity model/foundation? 

Hi, Nathan -

I think this is clearly in scope for the research group, if
we're chartered, but please note that IRTF research groups
don't produce standards.  However, a number of people have
found that the discussion and work on building agreement
around output from research projects can sometimes translate
into standards work further down the line.

What you're describing sounds orthogonal to the work on
distributed mapping that's been presented at the interim and
then at the most recent RG meeting (in Montreal).  Am I
correct in remembering that you're doing some work with
the blockchain group at RMIT?

I'm also curious on what you see as the tradeoffs with
the sort of hierarchical decentralized identity work being
done at Project LIGHTest.

Anyway, I'd personally be very interested in seeing a draft
or other paper.


Software longa, hardware brevis