Comments on draft-klensin-net-utf8-06

Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz@denic.de> Tue, 16 October 2007 14:46 UTC

To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
Subject: Comments on draft-klensin-net-utf8-06
From: Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz@denic.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:45:38 +0200

To my eyes the document is in good shape, but it still leaves one of the
issues at stake partially open:

Section 2, bullet 2 says "CR SHOULD NOT appear except when followed by
LF". The last paragraph of the section 2 says "CR MUST NOT appear unless
it is immediately followed by LF (...) or NUL". To me the first of these
statements is much less restrictive than the second.

Nitpicking:

* Section 1.1: s/variable length/variable-length/ for coherence with other
text appearances

* Section 3: s/to convert all canonically equivalent sequences a single
unique form/to convert all canonically equivalent sequences into a single
unique form/

* Section 4: The definition of the normalization stability is misleading,
actually even wrong.

  Old text:

 That is, if a string does not contain any unassigned
 characters, and it is normalized according to NFC, it will always be
 normalized according to all future versions of the Unicode Standard.

  Suggested text:

 That is, if a string does not contain any unassigned
 characters for a given version of Unicode, and it is normalized according
 the definition of NFC in that version, it will always result in the same
 normalized string according to all future versions of the Unicode
Standard.

* Section 4: "the string order of RFC 3629". It's not very clear to me
what is meant with this. Byte order? Sorting order?

* Section 4: I would drop the last paragraph, since it is a repetition of
what is exhaustively explained in section 5.2. I got a parsing error at
the last sentence of that paragraph anyway.

* Section 5.2: s/[RFC3454])/[RFC3454]),/

* Section 5.2, bullet 4: "This process has been discussed in the Unicode
Consortium under the name 'Stable NFC'". That might very well be but the
only hits I get when googling for that string are this very draft and some
contributions of the draft author to some mailing lists. So I cast doubt
on the utility of introducing this new term here which is a pointer to
nowhere. Is this again referring to the normalization stability policy of
unicode? http://unicode.org/standard/stability_policy.html

Best regards,
Marcos Sanz