Re: Dates for architecture workshop

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Mon, 01 October 2007 17:34 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Subject: Re: Dates for architecture workshop
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:33:52 -0700
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
Cc: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>

On Sep 27, 2007, at 9:32 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>>  - The topic is intended to be Apps area common architecture (some
>> such pieces which already exist include SASL, LDAP, URLs, MIME
>> types).  Any topic should relate to more than one application.
>>  - We would like this to be a working meeting. We may break people
>> out forcibly into twos or threes to actually write stuff (email,
>> proposals, I-D text,  etc) but we'll also have some discussion as
>> a big group.
>

> Lisa,
>
> I've re-read your note a few times and while I think I understand
> the concept of "common architecture" I am not understanding what
> you mean by "position papers".
>
> Can you clarify what sorts of architectural problems are motivating
> the event, what sorts of issues you are looking to have addressed,
> what sorts of follow-on actions you are seeking, etc.?

I'm hoping for community input on what sort of issues need to be
addressed, rather than drive the agenda myself and end up with nobody
doing the actual work :)

This may be obvious, but I think the reason for a special venue and
the topic of *common* architecture is to get people talking who
normally wouldn't talk because they focus on different applications.
It would be a waste of that time for the email folks to go off and
discuss 2821 continuation line syntax amongst themselves, if, as I
hope, there are HTTP and LDAP and calendaring folks there too.

The definition of "Position paper" can be pretty loose.  The topic is
something you think might be interesting for the group to discuss, so
what information can best fit in four pages to prepare for the
discussion?  It could be a discussion of a problem, of a solution, or
comparison of solutions or approaches.

I can definitely say what sorts of follow-on actions I'm hoping for:
new work in the form of actual new I-Ds or draft charters, progress
on stalled cross-application work,  or even proposals to cease
duplicative or unimportant work if that's appropriate.

Lisa