Re: Why NETCONF needs a data modeling language

Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com> Sun, 02 December 2007 18:20 UTC

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:20:07 -0800
From: Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com>
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Why NETCONF needs a data modeling language
Cc: yang@ietf.org, discuss@apps.ietf.org, 'NETCONF Goes On' <ngo@ietf.org>

Hello,
 >>    Q1) Why does NETCONF need a DML at all?

If we have an IETF standard DML for NETCONF, device vendors (like my company) will be much
more comfortable, much more willing to adapt NETCONF itself. With a standard DML we would
see a better chance at having available 3rd party or even freeware toolkits for NETCONF.

The above would be important even for a company which would not care about interoperability.

Balazs