Re: Machine Identity

Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com> Tue, 26 February 2008 16:24 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:24:04 -0500
From: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
To: Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
Subject: Re: Machine Identity
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org
Sender: discuss-bounces@ietf.org

Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> [..]
>> There are solutions for some protocols (SSH keys of RFC 4251 or Host
>> Identifiers of HIP in RFC 4423 are two good examples) but no general
>> "identity layer" in the Internet architecture.
>
> IMHO HIP (RFC4423) is that exact identity layer and additionally solves
> a number of other issues that it was made for.
>
> The big problem though is that actually getting programs to use this is
> cumbersome, simply because a lot of programmers don't know about it.

I like HIP.  But if there is any OS that ships with HIP support, I
haven't heard about it.  And as soon as we get a "machine identity" I
suspect we'll realize that what people want to identify isn't exactly a
"machine" anymore.

> Same goes for the use of SRV records, IMHO, instead of point to AAAA/A
> records for a service, one should *always* use SRV records.

NO.  SRV records can only be used with applications that are specified
to use SRV records - otherwise you'll break compatibility with legacy
applications.  And there are very few of these.

> SRV records solve loadbalancing, failover and a lot of other issues
> mostly already in DNS.

Yeah, and they create a tussle between DNS operators and users.

> Webbrowsers for instance don't do SRV yet. One of their arguments is
> 'lookup time', the same reason that some 'webdevelopers' used IP
> addresses in their websites as that would skip the resolving step...
>
> This is more about educating programmers than anything else...

Seems like IETFers need education at least as much as programmers do...

Keith