draft-klensin-net-utf8 and draft-klensin-unicode-escapes

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 04 October 2007 21:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:10:43 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
Subject: draft-klensin-net-utf8 and draft-klensin-unicode-escapes
Cc: the.map@alum.mit.edu

Hi.

After a long delay, I'm in the process or updating both of these
documents.  Very high-level summary of changes:

  ------
draft-klensin-unicode-escapes
  -04 has been posted.   It has been reorganized to make it
easier to follow and to respond to comments from several people
on and off the list.  It now recommends either \u'NNNN..' or the
XML form and recommends against the others (and explains why).
I think (hope?) that is consistent with general consensus.  The
alternative is to make no recommendation at all, which rather
misses the point, I think (and some others seem to think so as
well).

Chris Newman suggested one additional change, which was to move
the syntax for the not-recommended options into an appendix so
as to further discourage their use.  I think that is reasonable,
but it didn't make -04.   -05 will be posted, presumably within
the next 24 hours if the online tool works this time, but that
is the only substantive change from -04.

 -------

draft-klensin-net-utf8
  This document has been considerably reworked, with some
requirements lowered to SHOULD and others promoted to MUST per
online discussions.  Most of the former introductory material
and explanations of Net-ASCII have been moved to appendices and
the text streamlined.  Normative recommendations to avoid the
printer-driven idiosyncrasies of Net-ASCII have been added and
clarified and a prohibition against the C1 controls has been
added as well.  The document should be posted once my
collaborator and co-author has had a chance to review it.

My hope is that we can fine-tune these in the next week or two
and then put the documents out for Last Call as Proposed
Standards.  I think they are valuable or I wouldn't be putting
effort into them.  However, they have reached the point that, at
least for me, significant further investments would exceed that
value.  So, if the community wants them, let's focus on any
remaining important issues and get them resolved.   If not,
well, I'm prepared to just let one or both drop at this point.

     john