Re: Dates for architecture workshop

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Thu, 27 September 2007 16:42 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Subject: Re: Dates for architecture workshop
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:41:12 -0700
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Cc: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>

I think that conflict is livable, and since the dates work well for
CalConnect people and for me and Chris, I'd like to nail those dates
down.  Please put Feb 11/12 on your calendar if you're interested in
participating.

We haven't nailed down all the details yet, but here's the rough idea:

  - The topic is intended to be Apps area common architecture (some
such pieces which already exist include SASL, LDAP, URLs, MIME
types).  Any topic should relate to more than one application.
  - We would like this to be a working meeting. We may break people
out forcibly into twos or threes to actually write stuff (email,
proposals, I-D text,  etc) but we'll also have some discussion as a
big group.
  - We would like participation to be open to people who aren't
already Apps 'insiders' so we do not plan to issue formal invitations
to a closed list of people.  However, in order to limit attendance a
little, we will ask for on-topic position papers, just a few pages,
in advance of the meeting, as a condition of participation.
  - If you intend to participate, I'd appreciate an email any time to
get a rough headcount.
  - The deadline for position papers is tentatively friday, Dec 14.
That gives the IETF week and one week after for people who want to
bounce ideas around for position papers.
  - We'll circulate the position papers in January so that people can
read and comment in advance.  More homework!
  - It will be in the Bay area.
  - We are going to look for a host, but if there are a few expenses
not covered, we may ask for a few 100$ attendance fee.  If we need to
ask this we'll ask in advance of the actual meeting, but once we have
a better idea how many people and what meeting space we need to obtain.

Thanks,
Lisa